Whilst we love the classics, opera as an artform cannot be trapped by the past, and must continue to reflect the society that we live in. Although we are a small company, we believe in supporting the creation of new works, so this year we are offering a composition prize to support the creation of a new short opera.
A short opera in English for 3-6 voices and piano, of between 15-20 minutes in duration.
We want the opera to tell a story that resonates with society today – but beyond that you are free to find your inspiration.
A cash prize of £500, paid on completion of the composition.
The composition will be performed by Random Opera Company, and also recorded for online viewing.
- A summary (of no more than two pages) of the proposed story that you want to tell, describing the characters and themes, and intended musical style. Summaries should be sent as pdf documents.
- A recording of a previous composition that is – as far as possible – stylistically similar to your proposal. This can be submitted as a performed recording (video or audio), or as a playthrough from composition software.
- Existing compositions can be submitted, providing that they have not been previously recorded or performed.
- The deadline for entries is 31 July 2021.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com
The Small Print:
- Winners will be announced on the Random Opera website and social media on 21 August 2021
- The winning composition must be completed by 31 October 2021.
- Prize monies will not be released until the composition is provided to Random Opera in Vocal Score format.
- The winning composition will be recorded and released by Random Opera no later than 31 March 2022.
- Copyright will remain with the composer, but Random Opera will retain the right to use the composition for its own performances in the future.